Try These Fun Ways to Beat the Summer Heat
If the weather prognosticators are correct, it’s going to be a long hot Summer in the mid-Atlantic region. In the absence of Summer at the beach, here are a few tips to help you enjoy July and August.
- Find an outdoor pool, sit under an umbrella and sip cold drinks.
- Walk down to the water in one of our local parks such as Quiet Waters or Sandy Point.
- Wear a lightweight, wide-brimmed hat.
- Try tubing down a river. It’s a cool treat on a hot Summer day.
- Purchase one of those icy gizmos that you freeze and then drape around your neck.
- Do your walking or exercising early in the a.m. or just before sunset.
- Stay hydrated, and be sure that you’re drinking something other than a presweetened drink. Try unsweetened iced tea or just plain water.
- Keep meals light and cool. Salads are wonderful, and experiment with making your own dressing for a real treat.
- Keep a pitcher of icy water with lemon or lime slices in the refrigerator ready to enjoy.
- Freeze ice cubes of lemonade to drop into your iced tea or ice water.
- Try cool soups such as gazpacho or a fruit-based soup.
- Go to a movie matinee to get out of the heat of the day.
- Eat lots of chilled fruits such as pineapple, oranges, apples or mangoes.
- Keep your air conditioner at a reasonable temperature such as 78 so that it’s not such a shock when you step outside.
- Dress cool. Wear lots of plain cotton that has wicking abilities and is much cooler than any of the polyester blends.
- Slow down. Do you really need to rush around quite so much?
The heat will dissipate before we know it and we’ll be back to grousing about the icy sidewalks. So enjoy the casualness and laid-back days of our Summer months while you can.